Georgiy Lebedev continues to answer questions of M-Health Congress press office. Last time he talked about key challenges of digital medicine, as well as shared interesting data on the latest mobile medical developments. In the second part of the interview, we will discuss who needs digital healthcare more than others and how the current bill on telemedicine affects business.
Georgiy Lebedev is a head of the Information and Internet Technologies Department at the I.M.Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, a chairman of the “Internet+Medicine” Committee at Internet Development Institute, and an Advisor to the Director at Federal Research Institute for Health Organization and Informatics of Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
1. How would you describe the very phenomenon of telemedicine - as revolution or rather evolution of devices, technologies, scientific developments?
Some aspects of digital healthcare (for example, introduction of robots for patient care, and AI systems for storing and processing large data, recognition, diagnostics) are revolutionary. Thanks to them, medicine will change significantly.
But still, mostly telemedicine is evolution. Remote consulting and monitoring are medical routine, but these technologies facilitate the process for both patients and doctors.
2. Do healthy people need telemedicine and why?
Even if a person does not have chronic or other serious diseases now, it does not mean that they will not appear in the future. Telemedicine in this case is an excellent prevention method, which is usually ignored by the majority due to the lack of time or fear of visiting medical facilities. All you need is to put a smart bracelet on your hand. Fitness tracker will independently monitor the health and send all the data to the doctor. With the correct interpretation of such data, it is possible to predict pathological changes in the body. We call this approach to healthy people monitoring “Electronic Health Center”.
3. What categories of the population need digital medicine first of all?
In general, telemedicine is especially necessary for:
- residents of remote areas of Russia;
- participants of expeditions, walking tours, business trips;
- patients with serious or unconfirmed diagnosis - in this case, using remote consultation, they can quickly get the opinion of other experts about their problem and thus choose the most effective treatment;
- victims of emergency situations that require immediate medical aid;
- those patients, who need monitoring at home (home telemedicine);
- those people, who do not want to spend time visiting medical facilities.
4. How does the bill on telemedicine affect business?
It will affect different fields in different ways. For example, the bill will allow representatives of the medical business (paid medical organizations) to increase the number of patients served. First of all, there will be more appeals from healthy people. Patients who have previously preferred to be treated at home without going to doctors will also come. As the result, the workload of doctors will be higher, as well as the need for them.
The workload of manufacturers of medical software and hardware will also increase: they will get new orders for the development of communication technologies, monitoring systems, artificial intelligence systems.
It is possible that new types of business will appear very soon. For example, telemedicine assistance – an activity aimed at providing communication between participants of telemedicine services.
If you want to get more information on any issue related to the development of telemedicine in Russia, you will have such an opportunity on April 28 at M-Health Congress 2017! Dozens of various industry experts, including Georgiy Lebedev, will take part in the event. Georgiy Lebedev will moderate the section "Collaboration between the government and private companies while implementing telemedicine in Russia. Discussion of the bill about telemedicine and its influence on business", planned within the conference.
To participate in M-Health Congress 2017 register here.